What is Grapevine?
Grapevine: n. 1. an informal person-to-person means of circulating information or gossip. 2. a secret source of information. 3. a Live-Action Roleplaying Game Administration Utility designed for use with Mind’s Eye Theater from White Wolf Gaming Studios.
Grapevine helps a MET Storyteller accomplish a number of his or her most dreaded tasks:
- Build a complete database of Character Sheets–Vampire, Werewolf, Mortal, Wraith, Changeling, Mummy, Bete, Kuei-Jin, Mage and more character sheets are quick to compile by choosing from menus of every available trait and detail
- Influence Use and Rumors help you maintain a complex world for the player characters to manipulate
- Add traits and powers from every MET release
- The Experience Expenditure utility keeps your number-crunching to a minimum
- Keep Player Information readily at hand
- Print, Save and E-Mail character sheets, rumor and influence use reports, character and player rosters, and attendance lists, all in Customizable HTML, Rich Text or Plain Text Format
- Exchange Character and Player information with other Storytellers and Narrators who use Grapevine
- Customizable Menus let you add home-grown clans, powers, anything
What do I need to run Grapevine?
Grapevine is a Visual Basic 6.0 application for Microsoft Windows (95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, or XP). There are no Mac, Unix, or Palm Pilot versions available, I’m afraid. (Why not? See the FAQ.)
Grapevine requires that you own the actual Mind’s Eye Theater books for the games you run. It contains no rules and no character generation mechanics. It’s the most complete LARP administration package you’ll find–but it’s just not in any way a rulebook.
What will it cost me?
Nothing! That’s right — Grapevine is freeware. Download it right now and give it a try! Consider it my way of saying thank you to Storytellers everywhere for all your hard work. You have made magic possible.
And if you really like the software, I’m also grateful for any donation you may care to make. The amount is totally up to you.
Who’s responsible for this?
My name’s Adam Cerling, an aspiring video-game programmer and graduate of the Rochester, New York, Institute of Technology. I presently live near Minneapolis, Minnesota. I can be reached at Adam@GrapevineLARP.com.
Credit is also due to my friend Saif Ansari, who got me into the hobby and began a LARP that became a legend. To him and to all the Storytellers of Dark Secrets / Revelations — Josh, Vlad, Adam, Sam, Dave, Biggs, BJ — this program is dedicated.
Lastly, White Wolf’s site will tell you all you need to know about them. All the stuff of theirs you’ll find here is “©1999 White Wolf Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.” Good? Good.